fbpx

Question: Open World Design

Post has published by Scribbles

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Moonstoner 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Keymaster

Community Driven Design
    Question 1.
    In an “Open World” MMORPG how do you spend the majority of time? Playing with comrades, selling your wares, building your perfect homestead, building up diplomatic resources and networking, or something else?

• This topic was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  Scribbles.
  • Participant

What I do has a lot to do with the timing or amount of time in the game.
    Example:
    Upon entering, first thing is exploring. What is here? What is dangerous? What is the goal or what is it the developers want me to do? And how can I do it differently? <—- Players are the worst code and will find a way to break things.

Once somewhat established, I am then going to do a combination. I will try to hit goals based on available time. This could be leveling, gathering resources for crafting/house etc. The exploration becomes secondary. Example: You need berries from the oka plant located above the clouds to the SE of Village Zulie. What I need is this berry… the exploration is trying to find it.

The passive, casual, conversation occurs when I am doing something that is automated or mindless or grindy. A lot of crafting is, have the ingredients and then press make and it makes as many as you have ingredients for. This is fine, a bit boring, but it does allow for chit chat and socializing.
    The same can be said for grinding out a resource or pitching something you are selling.

Once you are very established, it really comes down to the measuring sticks all players typically do. So getting the rare/impossible item, the biggest house, the most money, the most kills… the shiniest stick.

• Participant

MAWorking said it well…

I like to explore and work on goals, it is the goals that keep me highly involved and invested in any game. It is what keeps me thinking about the game when I am not logged into the world. That is something that has not happened to me in a long time because MMOs seemed to forget that factor.

Simply camping a spot for experience is no where near as powerful as camping a spot for a special chance to get a unique drop for something like a quest or craft material, etc… You are getting experience without that being the number one focus, and that is a nice design.

In a perfect game world, I would break down my time as follows:
    40% Dungeons & Questing or Seeking Quest items
    40% Exploration & Discovery / Challenging my class skills
    20% Crafting (if it is useful)
    10% Socializing
    10% Raiding

• Participant

I definitely spend a lot of time questing and running dungeons with friends. I love the feeling of banding together and going on awesome adventures. Following questing, I enjoy working on goals/achievements. I dabbled in crafting, creating, and selling wares a little here and there, but the majority of my time spent in game is definitely centered around exploring, crawling through dungeons and completing goals and achievements.

• Participant

I like to spend my time grinding dungeons and different little camps throughout the world looking for better gear and spells/abilities and selling them to other players via an auction house (preferred) or through a chat windows. I prefer an auction house because it makes me feel like I am getting something accomplished when I am logged off. Nothing like waking up with that anticipation to log in and see what’s going on in the game and checking to see what you sold. If I am not grinding dungeons and watching my store or auction house. I will be spending my time crafting to, you guessed it, put stuff in the auction house/store to have more wares for “my store”. Also, I love spending time harvesting resources, specifically rare resources, so that I may provide unique gear, spells, and abilities in “my store”, I will also sell some of those resources, but I hoard a ton also. I know this isn’t a crafting question but I also like it when player crafted items have a made by tag on them for others to see. If I am not doing one of those things mixed in with some PvP, I’ll be trying to look for groups to be doing the dungeons/camps/raids.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A password will be emailed to you.