fbpx

Question: Bad Game Design

Post has published by Scribbles

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Pyye 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Keymaster

Question: What are some things that you’ve seen in MMORPG’s or RPG’s game design that make you cringe, throw your puter out the window or punch the nearest wall in anger? Lots of ammo I know, let us see if we can get through this one?

• Participant

The first couple of thoughts that come to mind (I imagine there will be others to add)…

1) The whole “Rock, Paper, Scissors” idea of balancing classes. I do not like that a certain class is at a significant disadvantage when facing another class simply because of the class abilities. Give classes abilities on a move, counter-move system, where a player who knows his/her class (and more importantly knows the opponents class and abilities) can use skill, timing, baiting, and anticipation to win a fight. Whatever your opponent does you should have something that can counter or defend against it; and vice-versa.

The reality in some games is that when a mage and a warrior face off, the warrior is dead (mage will kite him all day). When the same mage runs into a Ranger the mage is doomed (can’t kite the ranger!). That is no fun and in my opinion, is lazy class design.

2) Repetitive dungeons that have no challenge whatsoever. Some games have players run the same dungeons over, and over, and over… even to the point of people in LFG wanting “speed runs” of a dungeon because it poses no threat or challenge, they just want the points to get whatever reward is available for somehow managing the will to run the content 59,000 times.

Remember the good old days of needing crowd control and smart pulling to survive? Or maybe some random variation to the mobs or script that keeps every run from being the exact same.

3) Invisible walls. Yes, a bit of a personal pet peeve, but I hate invisible walls that block off visible paths or areas. Open world and exploration should be exactly that… if I can see it, I should be able to go there.

I just joined up today, so these are just what popped into mind at the moment. I will surely have more (hopefully better) feedback after some thought.

• Keymaster

WebbyGaming Thanks for the Reply.
    1. We’ll work hard to make sure DTN doesn’t have anything close to PRS that you’re speaking on. 🙂
    2. Our design team is very passionate about making our dungeons memorable.
    3. We’ll limit this as much as possible for sure!

• Participant

Here are some main things from my LONG MMO experience:
    1. Mob packs that are “linked” together, pull one, all will come no matter what. I like individual mob behavior and the ability for player manipulation.
    2. The ability to rush to end game content. This completely loses my interest in a game if there is not major content ALL the way thru the game and much slower experience progression. I like a game where I am not watching the exp bar, and I know this is a tough one to pull off. But lots of layers from dungeons, exploration, horizontal leveling, crafting, dynamic events, rare spawns, are good examples of how to create this environment.
    3. Limited bag space in a game that POURS out lots of items. Nothing worse than trying to figure out what to keep and sell constantly. Better yet, provide a creative way to obtain extra storage in the game, make it fun. I love to have and earn lots of items
    4. Question marks above NPC heads, guiding you on rails. I find this makes me put my head down, running from point A to B to C… I would rather explore and discover quests or progression. I often get bored fast if the game guides you too much.
    5. PUG groups for mandatory progression. I often won’t play a game that forces me to have to use a pick up group. That has to be the worst immersion breaking experience for me, as no one talks & it becomes a speed rush to finish, which completely ruins the whole experience. Create a game that encourages one to make friends and join a good guild of like-minded people.
    6. Hate cash shops- I prefer a game where literally EVERYTHING is earned in game. I would absolutely pay a premium monthly to keep it this way. I hate Mobile games for the reason that it feels like every game nickel & dimes you for every bit of progression. Horrible…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Pyye.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A password will be emailed to you.