fbpx

Question: Death System #RIP

Post has published by Scribbles

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  CunningFox 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Keymaster

Question: With all the opinions on how death should be handled what is your favorite?

Check out https://massivelyop.com/2016/03/05/massively-ops-guide-to-death-penalties/ for some of the common ones.

A. What is your favorite type of death system in an MMORPG?
    B. What is your least favorite death system?
    C. What kind of system would you like to see in DTN?

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Scribbles.
  • Participant

Favorite type of death system was original EQ (but with minor improvements)

Least favorite would be World of Warcraft

I would like to see in DtN an experience loss, gear left on corpse, Gear wear, and if the corpse evaporates after so many minutes you get full impact. If you make it back to your corpse before the timer runs out, you get limited exp loss, gear wear, and debuff timer. Other players can help recover corpses thru skills to assist. If you do not make it back in time, it gets summoned to a spirit yard where you last bound your soul, and you incur the full impact of exp loss, gear wear, and debuff duration. I do not think you should ever de-level, just go into the negative with experience.

I also think there should be an option to just take the full loss and summon your corpse to the spirit yard if you so choose. Especially if you died in an impossible area to recover.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Pyye.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Pyye.
  • Participant

A. What is your favorite type of death system in an MMORPG?
    Vanguard I think did a pretty solid job with their death system.

B. What is your least favorite death system?
    I hate to say this but old school EQ. I just don’t have time to collect a corpse run gear set and don’t have time to be okay with wiping 3 times in a dungeon just trying to get my corpse back and spending 4 hours in a night only to walk out with less XP, money and/or gear I started the day with.

C. What kind of system would you like to see in DTN?
    The true gamer in me that likes to pretend he still has time to play video games 30 hours a day 8 days a week loves the hardcore rule set. Really separate the men and women from the boys and girls. However those days are over and really we don’t make gamers like that anymore. Too hardcore of death rules will alienate a great deal of the younger players that have never gamed like that and the old folk that have real responsibility in life and do not have time to spend hours recuperating from a death. There has to be a penalty for death, but it can’t be extreme that makes people rage uninstall the game and take to the forums with hate.

• Participant

A. My favorite system is equipment durability loss and xp loss

b. Least favorite is absolutely no penalties what so ever

c. What Id like to see is xp loss and equipment durability loss with a hybrid corpse mechanic where you keep your equipped items but drop everything in your inventory, and your corpse will become lootable by other players after a set duration (maybe 10 minutes)

The reason behind only dropping your inventory is, if I died in that spot with my best equipment on, how the hell am I suppose to get my corpse back while naked or in crappy back up gear?
    The reason behind your corpse being lootable after a set time is 3 fold.
    1. Say your in a remote area with a party of friends that cant be reached alone and you die, your surviving team members could then hang around your corpse for the 10 minutes, then collect your loot for you and bring it back to you.
    2. If you have found some good drops and end up dieing it adds a sense of urgency in getting back to your corpse before someone else loots those valuable items
    3. It could add a new “treasure hunter” and “bounty hunter” type dynamic to the game. Players could be treasure hunters who roam around harder zones just looking for corpses to loot for items. Alternatively lower lvl players could offer a bounty to higher lvl players to obtain their corpse for them…. or even simply ask for the help of a kind higher lvl player who might be able to mentor the newer player in other aspects of the game

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A password will be emailed to you.